The Womxn of 3D

Writing by Sienna Kaske, Styling by Paige Phillips, Photography by Yvette Chau

A closer look at the womxn on a mission to defy Western ideals of sexuality, gender, ethnicity and race through female empowerment and dance.

3D is filled with a diverse group of womxn that challenge society’s expectations of how we perceive femme identified people. The dance group has been on campus since fall of 2018 and has disrupted the status quo of Oregon State University through dance, empowerment, and community. Dancing is a technique used by people of all identities to heal and connect with their culture and community. 3D was created for those reasons; culture and community. Being at a predominately white institution, it can be difficult to find your home at Oregon State, but the womxn in 3D are cultivating that home through dance. The dancers of 3D use their bodies as a way to express themselves as art and as resilient beings. Their energy and livelihood is empowering in and of itself, but watching them dance evokes the feeling of empowerment.

What does empowerment look like to you?

“When we live our truth fearlessly and we stay true to ourselves and maintain our integrity.”

Belen Garrido | Third-year student majoring in public health

“Fierce. Fierce. Empowerment is unapologetic with this group, it’s in our eyes, our voice, our stance. Empowerment is unity and making eachother shine as bright as we can.”

Genesis Hansen | Third-year student majoring in english and philosophy

“Defying the barriers that are imposed on us for our entire lives not only on this campus, it’s growing up within our cultures, and the gender barriers that are imposed on us. It’s claiming who we are, that way no one can sexualize us, no one can take that away from us and it is owning my own body. It’s much more than dance, it’s for queer womxn, migrant womxn, black and brown womxn, there are so many layers to us.”

Isadora Costa Cardoso | Fourth-year student majoring in political science – international affairs

What does 3D mean to you?

“We have made 3D an environment where we, as women of color, can be ourselves and be accepted for who we are. Even though we are all beautifully different, we also relate to each other in many aspects of our lives. We are always there for each other whether it’s a hardship or a celebration. They are my family. They make me feel at home.”

Anmolpreet Kaur | Fifth-year student majoring in biohealth sciences

“3D has provided me with a safe platform to fully express myself and continue to explore my own sexuality through dance. We refuse to conform to societal standards by portraying a message through every song we dance to. It’s important for us to break eurocentric beauty standards and not conform to them. 3D means unity. Dancing with a diverse group of smart young women, who share similar values and backgrounds, has allowed to become more confident and continue to break stereotypes about our individual cultures.”

Mixtli Rodriguez Cardoso | Second-year student majoring in biohealth sciences

“The [dance teams] I have been on have been predominantly white and I’ve been the only black girl on the team where I’ve had to straighten my hair and the dancewear doesn’t match my body type, skin color and that was pretty traumatic, so to be in a space where I can just be myself and be around girls that look like me and not have to worry about my skin color, body type, my hair is really special and unique space for me”

Hevani Fifita | Fourth-year student majoring in philosophy

“Womxn of color supporting womxn of color and having people in your life that support you. It’s a lot of emotion, Being a part of people like me and just doing my thing with them and being appreciated and original.”

Isabel Núñez Pérez | Second-year student majoring political science