Upcoming Winter SOL Flea Market

Kira+Koehler+and+Tehani+share+a+table+at+the+SOL+flea+market+on+Wednesday%2C+March+1%2C+in+the+SEC+plaza+on+the+Oregon+State+Corvallis+campus.+Both+artists+sold+hand+crocheted+hats%2C+bags%2C+and+tops.+

Fern Barber

Kira Koehler and Tehani share a table at the SOL flea market on Wednesday, March 1, in the SEC plaza on the Oregon State Corvallis campus. Both artists sold hand crocheted hats, bags, and tops.

Sophia Williams, Reporter

Photographer: Fern Barber

SOL, the LGBTQ+ and multicultural support network, will be hosting a flea market from 3 to 6 p.m. on March 1 in the Student Experience Plaza. There will be art, clothing, food, music, and more.

This is the first-ever SOL Flea Market on campus and is centered around queer, trans, and BIPOC artists to support marginalized groups. 

Kai Warouw, one of the event hosts and community relations representative for SOL, explained the idea of a flea market setting was based on many students’ childhood experiences. Warouw said that for many people, going to flea markets is a frequent occurrence for shopping and family businesses, predominantly internationally.
So through conversations with various students, there was a consensus on bringing a nostalgic environment while highlighting underrepresented vendors.

SOL is a student-fee-funded organization focusing on LGBTQ+ and BIPOC people at Oregon State University. They provide support in many ways, such as student advocacy, educational training, and ally building among all people at OSU. Their mission is to support people in embracing their complete identity without compromise. They host many events throughout the year and hold office hours during the open hours at seven different cultural centers on campus. You can find more information about upcoming events and their working hours on their Instagram @sol_qtpoc_osu.

The flea market is free admission and has no pre-registration, with purchases and all proceeds going to individual vendors.