Boldly Me Fashion Show Coming Soon!

The Boldly Me Fashion Show is a student-led event that is focused on building gender inclusivity, survivor advocacy awareness, STI prevention and the promotion of healthy sexual relationships. Boldly Me is a week long event organized by Student Health Services including a Fashion Show created by DAMchic Magazine. This event will showcase Oregon State University students designs, all inspired by the color red, which represents sexual health and STI prevention.

It is that time of the year again— the Boldly Me Fashion Show is happening at Oregon State University. Boldly Me is a week-long event organized by Student Health Services and includes a fashion show created by DAMchic magazine. The event is student-led and revolves around building survivor advocacy awareness, gender inclusivity, STI prevention and the promotion of healthy sexual relationships. During the annual fashion show, OSU design students come together to showcase their handmade garments, all influenced by the color red. Red represents sexual health and STI prevention and has inspired students when creating their designs.

Amber Hill is an apparel design student at OSU who will be showcasing her designs at the show. When asked what Boldly Me means to her she said “No hesitation. Disrupting and creating. Being unapologetically me. Unapologetically black. It’s about claiming your authentic self.”  This event is all about promoting inclusivity for diverse gender identities and sexual orientations according to Student Health Services.

The SHS events are specifically designed to promote healthy relationships, increase understanding of consent and celebrate every individual’s uniqueness in life, love and identity. “What Boldly Me means to me is people being able to be comfortable with themselves no matter the circumstances,” designer Paige Phillips said. I know a lot of people are dealing with discrimination through their sexuality, race, gender, etc. and I want there to be a point where everyone is able to think highly of themselves.”

In between the fashion show segments, special guests Associated Students of Oregon State University Vice President Radhika Shah, Miss Washington County Shivali Kadam and OSU senior Dharma Mirza from Haus of Dharma. Each will give a unique presentation on different ways to promote healthy sexual relationships. Judges Brooklyn Cochran, Shivali Kadam, Dharma Mirza, Tori VandeLinde and Michelle Bangen will also be present during this event. They will be judging the garments on creativity, “wow” factor, structure/ fit and complexity of design. The designer with the highest scores will be awarded with a spread in DAMchic’s next edition, highlighting the designer and all of their work.

Come help us celebrate and enjoy the show. The event will take place in the Memorial Union Ballroom from 6-8 pm tonight. It is open to the public so come support DAMchic and check out the work the Oregon State University’s designers have created!

• Rachel Hogan